The CEPOL course “ENFAST” (56/2014) attracted 28 participants from 20 Member States to the MoI International Training Centre Budapest, Hungary.
The course took place between 26th and 29th May 2014 and its aims were to:
- Increase participants’ knowledge of different European police systems and instruments of cooperation;
- Enhance knowledge and methods in searching fugitives;
- Promote the collaboration between ENFAST and international organizations,
- Improve operational police contacts, and the efficiency of the FAST teams, to exchange and accomplish their professional skills in the fight against cross border crime.
A general overview was given to participants, including information and experiences about ENFAST and the SIS II information system. Further attention was given to the following aspects:
- Presentations about international law enforcement institutions like Europol and Interpol and their role in Fugitive Active Search;
- Relation of the Internet and Fugitive active search;
- The work of the International Criminal Court;
Much of the course was delivered through interactive sessions such as discussion, group work, practical exercise and tactical training (assisted by the trainers of the Hungarian Counter Terrorism Centre). This allowed the attendees’ own experience and opinions to be shared, particularly with regards to recognising and solving the difficulties in capturing fugitives and the need to enhance European cooperation.
The course was organised by the International Training Centre, CEPOL Hungarian Unit of the Hungarian Ministry of Interior with valued support from Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Europol, Interpol, the SIRENE Bureau, the International Criminal Court, the Hungarian Counter Terrorism Centre, and the Hungarian National Bureau of Investigation.
Some of the comments from participants:
“I will share with my colleagues the new knowledge, but the best thing was meeting new people. We have many more contacts”
“I am satisfied with the course as a whole, the knowledge I gained, the new people from many countries I’ve met and their experience in our work, will be very useful to me”
“The course was well organized with a good balance between practical and theoretical activities. The logistics were perfect and the staff very kind”