CEPOL course 41/2014, “Senior Police Officer Planning and Command Course for Crisis Management” organised by the Portuguese GNR (Guarda Nacional Republicana) took place from 16 June to 4 July 2014, at the School of Guard, in Queluz and was attended by 22 senior police officers from 14 EU Member States.
The course was organised in co-ordination with EEAS (European External Action Service) and supported by France, Italy, Spain and other international organisations and institutions.
The aims of the course were to share knowledge related to civilian crisis management, within an international learning environment and using a mix of modern training methods and techniques for learning.
The course presented a number of different issues which were discussed, including:
- crisis management operations - with case studies related to EU foreign security policy;
- cooperation between civil and military forces and the European Gendarmerie force, as a tool of crisis management operations
- general EU guidelines, the legal aspects, political and human planning and overall strategic definition.
- communication, leadership and management issues including;
- media and press relations;
- command and control;
- behaviour and stress, and;
- management of multicultural environments.
During the course several distinguished national and international experts, including former Ministers, Academics, and relevant experts from EU bodies, delivered a number of lectures.
A VIP day was organised on 3 July which was attended by a number of distinguished guests, including representatives from the Portuguese Government, the French Embassy and many other senior officials from law enforcement and training organisations.
The course concluded with a practical exercise that was held in the Portuguese Army Simulation Centre at the Institute of Higher Military Studies (IESM), in Lisbon.